Re: Could not create a tablespace - permission denied

From: Graham Leggett <minfrin(at)sharp(dot)fm>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Could not create a tablespace - permission denied
Date: 2008-04-19 16:08:43
Lists: pgsql-admin
Tom Lane wrote:

> I think this explanation is fiction ... there is no "cacheing of
> credentials" in there that I know about.
>
> Maybe the server had not been running under the userid you thought it
> was?  But it would have to match the ownership of the data directory,
> so it's hard to see how a simple restart would fix it.
>
> [ thinks... ]  Hm, is the tablespace directory mounted over NFS?
> I *have* heard of strange cacheing behaviors on NFS.  In fact,
> NFS has enough weirdnesses that I wouldn't recommend running a
> database over it ...

The server is a standard REHL5 installed copy of postgresql, running as
the postgres user (as is standard on RHE5). Both the data directory and
the tablespace are running on ext3 filesystems local to the machine,
there are no NFS mounts anywhere. The machine does not have SELinux
installed, never mind enabled.

After the postgres user was granted permission to access the tablespace
directory, and after it was verified that the postgres user was able to
access the tablespace directory, postgresql refused to allow the
tablespace to be created until the postgresql server was restarted.

Regards,
Graham