Re: BUG #3983: pgxs files still missing in win32 install (8.3.1)

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Mike Leahy <mgleahy(at)alumni(dot)uwaterloo(dot)ca>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3983: pgxs files still missing in win32 install (8.3.1)
Date: 2008-04-14 12:00:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Joe Conway wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> In general, mingw built modules should load just fine in msvc built
>> postgres. AFAIK, that's how PostGIS does it for 8.3 (though I know Mark
>> is working on getting MSVC build support for them). Debugging may be a
>> bit harder (since they use different kinds of debug symbols - postgres
>> uses Windows style and mingw uses mingw style), but it should certainly
>> load.
>>
>> What trouble exactly are you seeing?
>
> Basically, "Procedure not found", even though it is there. Also note
> that the same R.dll is being used from the MinGW Postgres installation
> (where plr loads successfully) and the MSVC Postgres.

Could this be somethingl ike missing PGDLLIMPORT specifications in your
addon module or something like that? Try checking the names of the
functions that are actually exported using "depends" or a similar tool.

> postgres=# load '$libdir/dblink';
> LOAD
> postgres=# load '$libdir/plr';
> ERROR:  could not load library "C:/Program
> Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/lib/plr.dll": The specified procedure could not be
> found.

Actually, this looks like perhaps the backend is unable to load a DLL
that plr.dll depends on. Again, the "depends" tool can hopefully show
you what's missing there.

//Magnus