Re: alter table

From: Pavel SRB <srb(at)heckler-koch(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: alter table
Date: 2008-04-07 21:18:38
Lists: pgsql-novice
Sean Davis wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 4:53 PM, Pavel SRB <srb(at)heckler-koch(dot)cz> wrote:
>
>> hi all
>>
>>  please i have one question. I made table called tab_article with
>>
>>  CREATE TABLE "tab_article" (
>>    "id" serial NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
>>    "flag" boolean NOT NULL,
>>    "title" text NOT NULL,
>>    "journal" integer NOT NULL,
>>    "doi" varchar(255) NOT NULL,
>>    "year" integer NOT NULL,
>>    "volume" integer NOT NULL,
>>    "issue" integer NOT NULL,
>>    "pages_start" integer NOT NULL,
>>    "pages_end" integer NOT NULL,
>>    "printed" boolean NOT NULL,
>>    "public" boolean NOT NULL,
>>    "entry" boolean NOT NULL,
>>    "filename" integer NOT NULL,
>>    "language" integer NOT NULL,
>>    "link" integer NOT NULL,
>>    "info" varchar(255) NOT NULL
>>  );
>>
>>  and later another table called tab_journal
>>
>>  CREATE TABLE "tab_journal" (
>>    "id" serial NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
>>    "flag" boolean NOT NULL,
>>    "name" text NOT NULL,
>>    "publisher" integer NOT NULL,
>>    "issn_print" integer NOT NULL,
>>    "issn_online" integer NOT NULL,
>>    "link" integer NOT NULL,
>>    "date_range" varchar(255) NOT NULL
>>  );
>>
>>  and i needed to change column journal in tab_article to be set like
>>  "journal_id" integer NOT NULL REFERENCES "article_journal" ("id")
>>
>>  and i am not able to find the right alter table command.
>>  thank you very much
>>

> You will want to add the NOT NULL as one statement.  Then, add the
> foreign key constraint as a second statement.  There are examples of
> how to do each here:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/sql-altertable.html
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Sean

thank you for fast replay. I have read this one tutorial before i posted
this here, but with no luck.

ALTER TABLE l_article ADD CONSTRAINT journal_id FOREIGN KEY (journal_id)
REFERENCES l_journal (id);

this one stops my psql terminal and did not change anything. Am i
missing the not null statement?

ALTER TABLE "l_article" ADD CONSTRAINT "journal_id" integer NOT NULL
REFERENCES FOREIGN KEY ("journal_id") REFERENCES "l_journal" (id);

thank you
pavel