Re: Postgres and SUN

From: Robert Lor <Robert(dot)Lor(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Thomas Bräutigam <thomas(dot)braeutigam(at)nexustelecom(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Jignesh K(dot) Shah" <J(dot)K(dot)Shah(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Subject: Re: Postgres and SUN
Date: 2008-04-03 17:27:35
Lists: pgsql-admin

Thomas,

Thomas Bräutigam wrote:
> Hi Zmi,
>
> Okay thanks for that advice. Sorry its my first day on a mailing list.
>
> But do Postgres have a special recommendation which SUN equipment runs perfect with a Postgres Database?
>
> A time for a query over 30 seconds I would say is to long. So the machine should be fast enough to handle it in 10-20 Seconds. Price for the Machine doesn’t matter at all. The machine should just fit and can handle this kinda huge database.

Sun has published a benchmark on the Sun Fire T2000 Server and the
results are published here
http://www.spec.org/jAppServer2004/results/res2007q3/jAppServer2004-20070703-00073.html

Jignesh has also done tests on the following AMD and Intel systems, and
I believe the results were quite good.

http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/x4200/
http://www.sun.com/servers/x64/x4450/

Regards,