Re: [GENERAL] SHA1 on postgres 8.3

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] SHA1 on postgres 8.3
Date: 2008-04-02 21:09:14
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> There is clearly work that could/should be done to improve it, such
> as having better system support for packages or modules or whatever
> you want to call them; and maybe we also need some marketing-type
> work to encourage people such as hosting companies to allow access
> to non-core packages.

Funny you should mention that. I was just thinking the other day that I
needed to re-raise the question of getting rid of contrib, which has
long been a horrible misnomer, and calling its contents "The PostgreSQL
Standard Modules". Maybe we could rename the directory "modules". IIRC
that was the consensus name last time this topic was discussed.

We've already vastly improved their usefulness by adding documentation.
Let's take the next jump and start advertising them as exemplars of our
extensibility.

cheers

andrew