Re: build multiple indexes in single table pass?

From: Toru SHIMOGAKI <shimogaki(dot)toru(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: build multiple indexes in single table pass?
Date: 2008-04-01 13:17:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> I don't know if this has come up before exactly, but is it possible that
> we could get a performance gain from building multiple indexes from a
> single sequential pass over the base table?

It is already implemented in pg_bulkload
(http://pgbulkload.projects.postgresql.org/). Index tuples of multiple indexes
are spooled during the single sequential pass over the base table, and the
spooled index tuples are built up after all of the base table is scanned.

A proposal was submitted by Itagaki-san to integrate this feature into core.
see http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-02/msg00811.php .

--
Toru SHIMOGAKI<shimogaki(dot)toru(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
NTT Open Source Software Center