build multiple indexes in single table pass?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: build multiple indexes in single table pass?
Date: 2008-04-01 12:21:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers
 From the "idle thoughts in the middle of the night" department:

I don't know if this has come up before exactly, but is it possible that
we could get a performance gain from building multiple indexes from a
single sequential pass over the base table? If so, that would probably
give us  a potential performance improvement in pg_restore quite apart
from the projected improvement to be got from running several steps in
parallel processes. The grammar might look a bit ugly, but I'm sure we
could finesse that.

cheers

andrew

Next:From: Pavan DeolaseeDate: 2008-04-01 12:47:31