Guessing future postgresql features

From: Rafael Martinez <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Guessing future postgresql features
Date: 2008-03-31 23:02:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hello

I am preparing a presentation about postgresql for GoOpen2008 [1] in
Norway. I am trying to guess some of the 'main' new features we could
expect to see in the next versions of postgresql.

After reading different documents on Internet, I have this list which I
plan to include in my presentation. Does anyone disagree with it?  ;-)

* Auto-tuning / auto-configuration
* Easy update-in-place - 'pgmigrator'
* More SQL99 and SQL2003 features
* Update-in-place optimizations which enhance OLTP performance
* Auto partitioning / Dynamic partitioning
* External tables interfaces (SQL/MED compliant)
* More exotic datatypes
* More query optimizer improvements
* Elimination of vacuum
* Improve XML support
* Pre-parsing phase that converts non-ISO syntax to supported syntax.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

[1] http://friprog.no/ez/index.php?/nor/English

regards,
--
 Rafael Martinez, <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>
 University of Oslo, Norway

 PGP Public Key: http://folk.uio.no/rafael/

Next:From: korryDate: 2008-03-31 23:18:43