Re: Planning a new server - help needed

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: PFC <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>, James Mansion <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com>, Laszlo Nagy <gandalf(at)shopzeus(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tony Nagy <tony(at)shopzeus(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Planning a new server - help needed
Date: 2008-03-30 05:39:59
Lists: pgsql-performance

Greg Smith wrote:

>> Gigabyte should revamp their i-RAM to use ECC RAM of a larger
>> capacity... and longer lasting battery backup...
>
> I saw a rumor somewhere that they were close to having a new version of
> that using DDR2 ready, which would make it pretty easy to have 8GB on
> there.

I'm hoping - probably in vain - that they'll also include a CF/SD slot
or some onboard flash so it can dump its contents to flash using the
battery backup.

For anybody wondering what the devices in question are, see:

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2480
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Storage/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2180

--
Craig Ringer