Re: Redundant explicit field name/types description while select from function with return type of record

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
To: Eugen(dot)Konkov(at)aldec(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Redundant explicit field name/types description while select from function with return type of record
Date: 2008-03-28 16:43:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Eugen(dot)Konkov(at)aldec(dot)com wrote:

> a column definition list is required for functions returning "record"
> It seems a BUG

I don't think so. We can say it is a missing feature. As stated in [1],
record types don't have a predefined structure -- they're placeholders.
How do you know the row structure before hand? Its structure can be
changed on-the-fly.

> Are you agree with my suggestion? If so will you plan to fix this BUG?

TODO?

[1]
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/plpgsql-declarations.html#PLPGSQL-DECLARATION-RECORDS

--