Re: Fix pg_dump dependency on postgres.h

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix pg_dump dependency on postgres.h
Date: 2008-03-27 12:35:16
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
Tom Lane napsal(a):
> Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM> writes:
>> Thank your for Your and Alvaro's comments. I attached updated patch
>> version only with YYSTYPE definition.
>
> Applied with minor revisions.  I fixed pg_conversion.h as well; the only
> remaining special inclusions in the catalog header files are of
> pg_list.h.  For the moment that header doesn't seem to be a problem
> for client-side code to include, but someday we may want to do more
> cleanup here.

Thanks.

> The immediate remaining problem is that pg_resetxlog.c still includes
> a bunch of backend-only headers, which as far as I understand still
> blocks your build requirements.  I poked at this a little bit, but
> didn't see any easy solution ...

Yes, I know about it. When I tried to solved it in November, I found some
unnecessary includes and also there are some not well placed structures and so
on. I also sent one fix which probably lost in black hole of patch queue:

See http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2007-10/msg00197.php

There are big work on pg_resetxlog.c and I will look on it. It probably will
require a cleanup in headers files.

		Zdenek