Re: Postgres 8.3.1 configure fails on Solaris 10 using gcc 3.4.3 and building for 64 bit

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: haeb(at)pc60(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bjorn Munch <Bjorn(dot)Munch(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Subject: Re: Postgres 8.3.1 configure fails on Solaris 10 using gcc 3.4.3 and building for 64 bit
Date: 2008-03-25 07:16:40
Lists: pgsql-ports

Harry Broomhall napsal(a):
> Thank you for your rapid reply.
>
> On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:19:28 +0100, you wrote:
>
>> You can download 8.3.1 64bit version for Solaris from community web site
>> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.3.1/solaris/i386/
>
> I had seen this and downloaded it. The problem is that it is for
> Solaris Express, not the 'standard' Solaris 10. This fails because it
> expects a newer version of ssl than supplied.

Yes, it is true. We are now working on build environment for S10U4 and newer and
I hope we will release 8.3.1 for S10U4 soon.

> Forgive me if I have used the wrong terms, but it is becoming clear
> to me that Solaris 10 exists in two versions. The 'commercial'
> versions, which is what we have to use, and has a slow update cycle
> (we are on 11/06) and Express, which seems much more up-to-date, but
> seems not to be available commercialy.

Yes, Solaris 10 is only supported version of solaris, you can buy limited
support also for OpenSolaris Developer edition but it is more for application
developers. If you are on 11/06 it is probably S10U3 it is not good version for
PostgreSQL anyway. We require S10U4 or newer, because it contains krb5, new
version of dtrace (important for building) and updated libXML. You can apply
patches on your system to update dtrace and libXML, but krb5 is a new feature
you can try install krb5 packages from S10U4 but I'm not sure if it works.

Zdenek