Re: PostgreSQL website translations

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Adrian Maier <adrian(dot)maier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL website translations
Date: 2008-03-23 22:26:43
Lists: pgsql-www

Adrian Maier a écrit :
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>> I don't think we need to move the obsolete translated webpage. The PHP
>> code should simply display the english one.
>
> Ok , that's fine with me : the English page replaces the translated page
> until the translator updates it.

Well, I'm not so sure now. For someone who doesn't speak english, an old
translated page could be better than the current one in english. I mean,
there's no need to have an uptodate translation of the books webpage for
example.

Probably we can do the same as the Debian guys : add some text on the
translated webpage which can specify that a more up to date page is
available in english and can be found "here".

>>[...]
>> > But first of all, we'll need a good way to store the last_modification_date
>> > for each page : each page (English and translations alike) need to
>> > be "stamped" with a date or date+time . The date of the svn
>> > revision is not good enough because relying on it is the perfect
>> > recipe for missing modifications if they are occuring before the
>> > translators finishes the translation of a previous version.
>> >
>> > Here is a scenario :
>> > - 8-apr: the English page is modified+committed
>> > - 8-apr: the translator starts translating
>> > - 9-apr: the English page is modified+committed again
>> > - 10-apr: the translation gets committed (but it has the contents for 8-apr)
>> >

>> Oh OK. I understand your example. But if we can't rely on a svn hook to
>> stamp each file, I also don't think we can rely on a manual
>> modification, do we ?
>
> The core of the problem is finding a good place to store the
> correspondance between a given page and its translations.
>
> My point is that we need a way to store information like
> "ro/about/advantages.html rev5001 (10-apr-2008) is the translation of
> en/about/advantages.html rev4995 (8-apr-2008) " .
>
> It's excellent if this can be achieved with svn hooks , but I doubt that
> it's possible.

I doubt too. And, really, I don't think we need this much of a system.
Your example is quite interesting but how many times will we have this
issue ? I don't think many times. Perhaps we should just trust the
translator. Before commiting his stuff, he needs to check if someone
else changes the webpage. Trusting the translator will simplify the
issue of the obsolete page. We'll simply need to check the modification
date to decide if the website should display the translated one or the
english one.

>> > So, I think that we'll need to build some mechanisms for dealing
>> > with the page versions/trabslations outside of what does svn offer.
>>
>> Do you have any ideas of what this could be ?
>
> I'm dreaming of having "something" (some scripts or maybe
> or even a web application for translators) that gives:
> - the list of pages that need to be modified or that are new

Easy to write a script that does just this if we agree on the
"modification date check".

> - for each listed file :
> * the diff between the "English text that was translated last time
> into my language" and "the current English text"

svn diff ? svn browser ?

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org