Re: Postgres Performance

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: Aftab Alam <aalam(at)tsrdarashaw(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres Performance
Date: 2008-03-21 19:50:10
Lists: pgsql-admin
 > I am using postgres 7.0 with linux with 15 GB of database &
 > 3 gb of RAM. Can anyone suggest what is the best setting
 > for postgres. I am using postgres as web db.

You mentioned elsewhere that you are getting 2,000 hits/day. I don't
know the nature of your web app but typical web apps involve pretty
simple transactions. Even with an average of 10 database transactions
per hit, your average is less than 0.25 TPS - several orders of
magnitude lower than the likely capacity of your hardware.

If you are experiencing performance problems I think that you may need
to look into more than the config file:

1. Are you vacuuming regularly? If not, you may need a vacuum full
followed by regular vacuuming.

2. Have you established appropriate indexes?

3. Are you running analyze to allow the planner to use the indexes you
created?

Cheers,
Steve