Re: What is the best way to storage music files in Postgresql

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Andrej Ricnik-Bay <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Koczan <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What is the best way to storage music files in Postgresql
Date: 2008-03-18 09:59:20
Lists: pgsql-performance

Andrej Ricnik-Bay wrote:

> In my testing I found that once you hit 10 spindles in a RAID5 the
> differences between it and a RAID10 started to become negligible
> (around 6% slower on writes average with 10 runs of bonnie++ on
> 10 spindles) while the read speed (if you're doing similar amounts
> of reads & writes it's a fair criterion) were in about the 10% region
> faster. With 24 spindles I couldn't see any difference at all. Those
> were 73GB 15K SCAs, btw, and the SAN connected via 2GB fibre.

Isn't a 10 or 24 spindle RAID 5 array awfully likely to encounter a
double disk failure (such as during the load imposed by rebuild onto a
spare) ?

I guess if you have good backups - as you must - it's not that big a
deal, but I'd be pretty nervous with anything less than RAID 6 or RAID 10 .

--
Craig Ringer