Re: namespace issues ...

From: Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)miracee(dot)de>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: namespace issues ...
Date: 2008-03-17 12:49:41
Lists: pgeu-general

Marc G. Fournier schrieb:

> Apparently, when this list was created, there was some confusion as to what it
> was meant to be used for, vs what it is actually used for ...
>
> Namely, it was thought that this list was meant to be for EU related
> discussions, akin to the various language lists that we have ... to give a more
> regional discussion for general PostgreSQL related discussions ...
>
> Apparently, in reality, it is being used as a more 'general members' discussion
> board for PGEU itself ... not a problem, but does tend to collide with the
> 'pgsql-* namespace has (until this group) been reserved for community support
> forums' ...
>
> After some discussions on -core over the past few days, we'd like to suggest
> one of two possible solutions:
>
> 1. rename list to pgeu-general, to match the existing pgeu-board list
> 2. setup eu.postgresql.org as a domain, so that there is:
> - board(at)eu(dot)postgresql(dot)org
> - general(at)eu(dot)postgresql(dot)org
>
> #1 is obviously the easier to implement, with the least impact, as pgeu-board
> won't have to be touched ...
>
> In either case, an appropriate alias will be created to re-direct mail to the
> new list, so that member addressbooks won't suddenly be broken ...
>
> This will result in pgsql-* once more being purely community + language
> specific support mailing lists ...
>
> Thoughts / preferences?

Marc,

when you ask me, this list never should be a second English list where
users ask questions.
My main thoughts during the idea of European group was, that not every
country has to reinvent the wheel again. That we know each other.
Consider, before 2007 the Germans didn't know the French, the Italians
didn't now other Europeans and so on. Europe is a small continent and
often it makes sense to do stuff together. Also we often have the same
problems: just thinking to donations or to encoding (besides UK).

Of course we had to share lots of informations during the beginning and
first we used the main English lists and #postgresql on freenode for
this stuff. But we didn't want to bore all the others that's why we
found a #postgresql-eu and a mailing list for discussing all European
only stuff there.

I don't have knowledge about our mailing list policy. As I remember it
was Dave in Italy who suggested this name for the list. Because Josh and
Dave were in Italy at this meeting I didn't saw a reason to veto here.

The list should be for all discussions about European only related
stuff. For example EU donation stuff, organisation from European events
or booth on European events (i.e. FOSDEM Brussels, PGDay Italy).
Technical topics should be discussed on the other main English lists
(i.e. Hackers).

Of course it could happen that we will pre discuss technical issues if
they are mostly European related like European encoding. But that's more
the sharing of experiences and also a psychologic issue to figure out
that you are not alone with this problem.

Also I am pretty sure you will find lots of T-Shirt design topics on
that list. :)

For me the naming of the mailing list doesn't matter. Also the number of
lists. I think that's something core team has to decide. When you think,
two lists (board, general) would match better then please, change it.

I have only one condition for that: Please, when you rename the list
switch all users from the old list to the new lists. That we don't have
to subscribe us again.

Best Regards,

Susanne