Re: Proposal for db level triggers

From: James Mansion <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal for db level triggers
Date: 2008-03-13 22:14:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

James Mansion wrote:
> In usage:
>
> AFTER START clears counters and flags.
> UPDATE triggers on data set counters and flags.
> BEFORE COMMIT examines the counters and flags and performs any final
> validation or
> adjustments (or external events such as sending a MoM message)

I'd like to point out also that AFTER CONNECT is a good opportunity to
CREATE TEMP TABLE (be
nice if a global temp table definition could be persisted and
automatically duplicated into each session, but
never mind).

And if we use data update triggers to insert into a DELETE ROWS temp
table or an in-memory data
structure, the BEFORE COMMIT trigger is the place to do a bulk copy into
real table(s) or combine
rows into a BLOb in an audit table.

James