Re: Can't rename an existnig DB because it doesn't exist???

From: "Dean Gibson (DB Administrator)" <postgresql(at)ultimeth(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can't rename an existnig DB because it doesn't exist???
Date: 2008-03-13 16:45:08
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2008-03-12 21:30, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>> > Can't rename a db, complains that it doesn't exist. Yet psql -l shows that it does and I can connect to it ???
>> >
>> > mmdcc228_SETUP(120)% psql stdb2 -c "alter database stdb rename to
>> stdb_tmp"
>> >
>> > ERROR: database "stdb" does not exist
>> > mmdcc228_SETUP(121)% psql -l
>> >
>> > List of databases
>> >
>> > Name | Owner | Encoding
>> > --------------+----------+----------
>> > stdb | dfgauthi | UTF8
>> > stdb2 | dfgauthi | UTF8
>> > stdb_standby | dfgauthi | UTF8
>>
>> Very strange. maybe the name has a space in it?

Thoughts:

1. What SCHEMAs are these DBs in? Perhaps a search_path issue (I
haven't followed all of this thread, so perhaps this has been mentioned).

2. What are the current Linux command-line encoding (value of $LANG) and
the psql client_encoding? Perhaps there is a non-displayable character
in the name.

3. You can probably delete it by:
a. Creating a new schema "zzz".
b. Moving everything else in the schema where stdb is, to the new schema.
c. Drop the existing schema (cascade).
d. Rename schema "zzz" to the name of the previous schema.