Re: migration of 7.4 to 8.1

From: Geoffrey <lists(at)serioustechnology(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: migration of 7.4 to 8.1
Date: 2008-03-13 13:50:50
Lists: pgsql-admin
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 22:50:21 -0700
> "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> And if the OP is worried about running too new a version of pgsql,
>> 8.2.6 is very mature.  But if he's got 6 or more months until he goes
>> live, which is common, I'd recommend going to 8.3 which will be well
>> polished by then.
>>

> I would avoid 8.3 without extensive testing. 8.2.6 is likely a better
> shot a minimizing one off incompatibilities.

We are in a very similar situation in that we are looking to migrate
from 7.4 to 8.3.  So seeing Scott's and Joshua's responses, I'm not sure
if we should go with 8.2 or 8.3.

Joshua, are you disagreeing with Scott, or are you simply stating that
if one is moving from 7.4 to 8.3, you should do extensive testing?  We
do plan to do so, but I just want to make sure I understand your post.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin