Why no create synonym in postgres?

From: simon redfern <simon(at)musicpictures(dot)com>
To: atlpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Why no create synonym in postgres?
Date: 2008-03-12 18:58:02
Lists: atlpug
Hey Guys,

Just wondering why there is no create synonym command in postgres?

I've seen some reasons why not i.e. "people rely on the synonym and then
it changes" - but hey, people rely on views and tables and they can be
dropped..

Synonyms are useful because they can give you such flexibility. For
instance right now we want to create a synonym for a sequence so that
django can use it (and insert into a view). They exist and are used in
other database systems (e.g. Oracle ) because they are useful. Synonyms
please! :-) I saw a patch for it so it must be possible..

cheers,

Simon Redfern

atlpug by date

Next:From: MattyDate: 2008-03-18 04:51:10