Why no create synonym in postgres?

From: simon redfern <simon(at)musicpictures(dot)com>
To: atlpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Why no create synonym in postgres?
Date: 2008-03-12 18:58:02
Lists: atlpug
Hey Guys,

Just wondering why there is no create synonym command in postgres?

I've seen some reasons why not i.e. "people rely on the synonym and then
it changes" - but hey, people rely on views and tables and they can be

Synonyms are useful because they can give you such flexibility. For
instance right now we want to create a synonym for a sequence so that
django can use it (and insert into a view). They exist and are used in
other database systems (e.g. Oracle ) because they are useful. Synonyms
please! :-) I saw a patch for it so it must be possible..

Simon Redfern

atlpug by date

Next:From: MattyDate: 2008-03-18 04:51:10