Re: Querying Headers

From: pw <p(dot)willis(at)telus(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Querying Headers
Date: 2008-03-01 00:10:11
Lists: pgsql-general
pw wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am curious if there is a postgresql function that will
> return a list of header names based on an input query text.
>
> ie:
>

> select return_headers("SELECT name, date, shape FROM some_table;") as
> headers;
>
> returning:
>
> headers
> -------
> name
> date
> shape
>

> Thanks for any help.
>
> Pw

As a supplementary comment to this:
This information can be extracted from the pg_catalog
in several steps as follows:

CREATE VIEW testview AS (SELECT name, date, shape FROM some_table);

SELECT distinct attname FROM pg_attribute, pg_class, testview WHERE
attrelid=pg_class.oid AND pg_class.relname='testview';

/*GET THE COLUMN HEADERS HERE AND RETURN THEM*/

DROP VIEW testview;

I was however hoping someone had already created a
function that was standard.

ie:
CREATE FUNCTION return_header_names(text) RETURNS SETOF string
     AS '
	CREATE VIEW testview AS ($1);
	SELECT distinct attname FROM pg_attribute, pg_class, testview WHERE
attrelid=pg_class.oid AND pg_class.relname='testview';
	'
     LANGUAGE SQL
     IMMUTABLE
     RETURNS NULL ON NULL INPUT;