Re: DTrace probe patch for OS X Leopard

From: Robert Lor <Robert(dot)Lor(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DTrace probe patch for OS X Leopard
Date: 2008-02-29 20:27:54
Lists: pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> We still have what I consider a big problem with the names of the
> macros.  Perhaps that could be fixed by passing the auto-generated
> file through a sed script to put a prefix on the macro names before
> we start to use it?

Post processing the auto generated header may work, but I think it could
be unnecessarily complicated and error proned. First, the formats of the
header between Mac OS X and Solaris are different, and I'm pretty sure
it'll be different for FreeBSD when it comes out with Dtrace support.
Second, if there are changes in the  content of the header in the
future, the sed script may break. I can investigate this approach
further, but I personally prefer a solution this is less error proned.

And don't think adding a simple comment before the macro call is
sufficient? This can be documented so everyone knows the convention.

Regards,
-Robert