Re: Insert vs Update syntax

From: Brent Friedman <bfriedman(at)scanonline(dot)com>
To: Clodoaldo <clodoaldo(dot)pinto(dot)neto(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, PostgreSQL - General ML <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Insert vs Update syntax
Date: 2008-02-29 17:13:58
Lists: pgsql-general
If you don't like the standard sql implementation, you could use plsql
or any language to make an abstraction layer/wrapper for this
functionality.  Just pass everything as a key/value pair, in an array or
hashtable structure, to your abstraction layer/wrapper, and it can cycle
through the data structure to do the insert or update for you.

In very rough psuedo-code, something like

    create my_data_structure {
           table = employees,
           first_name = sally,
           last_name = smith,
           date_of_birth = 2008-01-01

    call function mywrapper (my_data_structure)

          function cycles through array, and creates an sql string

This may have problems with constraints, foreign keys, etc.