Re: rule question

From: Tim Rupp <caphrim007(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Klint Gore <kgore4(at)une(dot)edu(dot)au>
Cc: Devi <devi(at)visolve(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: rule question
Date: 2008-02-29 10:08:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Klint Gore wrote:
> [see below or the top posting police will arrive on my doorstep :)]
>
> Devi wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> CREATE RULE dosen't require any lock. It is carried out in the parser
>> level. But there will be ACCESS SHARE lock over the tables which are
>> being queried & are acquired automatically.
>>
>> Thanks
>> DEVI.G
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Rupp" <caphrim007(at)gmail(dot)com>

Thanks for the info guys, I'll use it to observe my own setup here.

One other question. If the lock needed is exclusive, and more inserts
come in after it is requested, will Postgres schedule the rule to be
created before those new inserts are allowed to happen? Or can the rule
request sit there and wait indefinitely for it's exclusive lock.

Thanks!
-Tim