Re: rule question

From: Klint Gore <kgore4(at)une(dot)edu(dot)au>
To: Devi <devi(at)visolve(dot)com>
Cc: Tim Rupp <caphrim007(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: rule question
Date: 2008-02-29 06:00:59
Lists: pgsql-general

[see below or the top posting police will arrive on my doorstep :)]

Devi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> CREATE RULE dosen't require any lock. It is carried out in the parser
> level. But there will be ACCESS SHARE lock over the tables which are
> being queried & are acquired automatically.
>
> Thanks
> DEVI.G
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Rupp" <caphrim007(at)gmail(dot)com>

Seems to me like needs an exclusive lock. I setup 2 sessions. first one
idle in transaction after an insert and then issued the create rule in
the other. the 2nd one sat there.

pg_locks in the 1st one said
# select * from pg_locks where relation = 20404;
locktype | database | relation | page | tuple | virtualxid |
transactionid | classid | objid | objsubid | virtualtransaction | pid
| mode | granted
----------+----------+----------+------+-------+------------+---------------+---------+-------+----------+--------------------+------+---------------------+----
-----
relation | 16770 | 20404 | | |
| | | | | 1/921 | 632 |
RowExclusiveLock | t
relation | 16770 | 20404 | | |
| | | | | 2/771 | 3812 |
AccessExclusiveLock | f
(2 rows)

(ignore the formatting the important bit is pid, mode, granted) 3812 is
the pid of my create rule according to pg_backend_pid() and 632 is my
insert transaction.

Execution of the rule follows what you were saying.

klint.

--
Klint Gore
Database Manager