Re: Bypassing useless ORDER BY in a VIEW

From: "Dean Gibson (DB Administrator)" <postgresql(at)ultimeth(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bypassing useless ORDER BY in a VIEW
Date: 2008-02-28 18:09:50
Lists: pgsql-performance
On 2008-02-28 09:13, Tom Lane wrote:
> A rule of thumb is that ORDER BY in a view is bad design, IMHO.
> 			regards, tom lane

I was surprised to find out that apparently it's also a PostgreSQL
extension;  standard SQL apparently disallows ORDER BY in VIEWs:

When I found this out, I removed all the ORDER BYs from my VIEWs (which
had been there for the convenience of subsequent SELECTs).

Of course, where ORDER BY in a VIEW is really helpful, is with OFFSET
and/or LIMIT clauses (which are also PostgreSQL extensions), which is
equivalent to what you point out.

Mail to my list address MUST be sent via the mailing list.
All other mail to my list address will bounce.