Re: HELP FOR LOADING a .psql file (same question again but explained neatly)

From: Colin Wetherbee <cww(at)denterprises(dot)org>
To: akshay bhat <akshayubhat(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: HELP FOR LOADING a .psql file (same question again but explained neatly)
Date: 2008-02-28 16:18:57
Lists: pgsql-general

akshay bhat wrote:
> hello i am new to psql or any database stuff.
> i have downloaded an .psql file from internet and wish to open it and
> see the data inside.
> i am working on windows xp and have installed the software successfully.
> please help i am my wits end.
> it is huge file 800mb
> and is supposed to contain a database.
> the question is how to load it?
>
> it was downloaded from this link http://conceptnet.media.mit.edu/
> the description says
> The ConceptNet 3 database
> <http://conceptnet.media.mit.edu/conceptnet-2007-09-25.tar.gz>, as a
> PostgreSQL input file. You will need to be running a PostgreSQL server
> to install ConceptNet 3.
>
> how do i load it?

It was a 40-second download, so I grabbed it.

It looks like you need to create a database and then load this .psql
file into it. It contains all your CREATE TABLE statements and
everything else.

Once you get your database set up appropriately, this command should do
the trick:

psql -d <your_database_name> -f conceptnet-2007-09-25.psql

Colin