Re: [pgeu-board] Misapprehensions website/wiki

From: Jean-Paul Argudo <jean-paul(at)postgresqlfr(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL EU General <pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgeu-board] Misapprehensions website/wiki
Date: 2008-02-28 12:46:24
Lists: pgeu-general
Hi guys,

>> *do* we actually want two different ones? Can't the wiki fulfill our
>>> website requirements as well?

To be true, and speaking only about content, yes, maybe a Wiki is enough
to start.

> I think, we should have one. Not that we really need a website, but
> remember what we are for: promoting PostgreSQL.
> You can't reach managers just with a wiki page, that's a fact. For the
> information part we should have a nice-looking webpage.

This is mostly true.

I think we need a www.(postgresql|pgug).eu and a wiki.(postgresql|pgug).eu.

(|): just because we havent discussed that yet, and Im not sure of which
we will use, or both ?

As an example, the services we use at PostgreSQLFr:
(listed on http://wiki.postgresqlfr.org/doku.php):

 - website: drupal (www.postgresqlfr.org):
   news (mostly PGWN translated), users forums, and 2 "drupal books":
   - 1 for PG use cases
   - 1 for PG hints & tips

 - website: static HTML pages for official documentation translated
   to french : docs.postgresqlfr.org

 - webmail: for board accessing their e-mail (not really used, only
   sometimes, and by a real few of us)

 - galette: its a software to manage the members and the memberships of
   the non-profit (who paid for what, who has to pay, e-mails, phones,
   etc..) (galette.postgresqlfr.org)

 - stats.postgresqlfr.org for awstats of the main www

 - svn.postgresqlfr.org : a trac/svn to manage ticketing, advocacy
   files (flyers, logos, etc), translations (PG doc and binaries, etc)

As you see, we have many (to much?) tools, but we used them all (except
the webmail and the stats that are the less used).

>> As any website design procedure, the main issue is to decide the logical
>> structure of the website, what information we want to store, etc. An initial
>> sitemap will be enough for us to clarify the technical needs.

Yes, I agree.

> But we can discuss what we want on the website in the wiki ;-)
> And we also can have a state, what is done and what we still need to do.

Yes

--
Jean-Paul Argudo
www.PostgreSQLFr.org

pgeu-general by date

Next:From: Koen MartensDate: 2008-02-28 12:56:00