Skip site navigation (1) Skip section navigation (2)

Re: We should get active / The tools

From: Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)miracee(dot)de>
To: Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <ads(at)pgug(dot)de>
Cc: Jean-Paul Argudo <jean-paul(at)postgresqlfr(dot)org>,PostgreSQL EU General <pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: We should get active / The tools
Date: 2008-02-28 12:29:23
Message-ID: 47C6A923.3000608@miracee.de (view raw or flat)
Thread:
Lists: pgeu-general
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum schrieb:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 12:35:00PM +0100, Susanne Ebrecht wrote:
>   
>> When the French want to have blue elephants, they ask the Germans 
>> because they know that they know how to order them. -> no direct 
>> activity from the EU group
>> Only when the French didn't know, where to get blue elephants, they 
>> should ask EU group and the EU group should forward the contact to the 
>> Germans.
>>     
>
> I'm sorry, you are wrong. If other ppl know, we (germans) are ordering 
> elephants, they can jump on the train and we can make just one order for 
> several groups.
>   

That was exactly what I meant. My last sentense was for the situation, 
that somebody don't know who is responsible for elephants. Then he ask 
the EU group: "hey where will I get elephants" and EU group answers: 
"ask: info(at)pgug(dot)de" or "ping ads at IRC" or whatever.

> Just to stay with your example.
>
>
>   
>> Another example: We have two or three Dutch guys. They wanted to found a 
>> language based groups. Of course EU group will help them with 
>> experiences and how to found a group. But the rest is part of the Dutch 
>> guys. When they want to make a booth at a small event at the Netherlands 
>> and they don't have enough people for it and don't know who to ask, then 
>> the EU group should look who is next to them and force this topic to the 
>> Germans or maybe the French.
>>     
>
> Why not asking all in the EU, if some more ppl can attend and make the 
> booth/event more successfully?
>   

Of course asking all but at least Germany or France will take this 
topic. Nothing against to ask the whole community, maybe the US guys 
want to help too. Only the chance that I or somebody else from this 
region here just jump to the Netherlands is much higher as when somebody 
has to fly into. Because I have 5 km to the Netherlands. I suppose that 
such a question would end at the Germans or French.

> Just to stay with your example.
>
>
>
>   
>> What we can discuss is, if we want a common wiki for all language based 
>> communities or if  every language based communtiy should decide on their 
>> own how they will inform their members.
>>
>> For a presentation of the European PostgreSQL group we don't need a 
>> wiki. We just need a handful pages. We already said what we need in 
>> another thread and nobody added more.
>>     
>
> Susanne: we don't need the wiki for the "presentation"! That's where we
> can use a CMS like drupal. We want a wiki to document events, decisions,
> changes, so that work is not repeated several times and all information 
> are public available.
>
> The board already decided to use a wiki so the question is no longer, if
> we use a wiki or not. The only remaining questions are which software
> and where to host. So let's close this topic right now, thank you.
>   

As we talked on IRC I miss understand that. I want to force that we 
finally get an external web presentation and therefor all stuff is 
clear. I got confused because the discussion about external webpage 
ended up in a wiki discussion.

That we want to use a wiki for internal stuff is a complete different 
topic.
For me it doesn't matter what we use internally, the only condition I 
have is that it will be access controlled.
The only question for me at this topic is: should we put such a wiki on 
.eu or better on .org? But this can be discussed later.
I just couldn't see a reason why we need a wiki for external web 
presentation.
And I feared, that nobody will start to design our web page before this 
wiki discussion is over.

What we need for external web page is clear. So please somebody start to 
make the design. I was really serious at my comments, that I will ask 
Bruce for the dancing elephant if there is no web page until the end of 
next week. I can help with the content but not with the design.

Susanne



In response to

Responses

pgeu-general by date

Next:From: Jean-Paul ArgudoDate: 2008-02-28 12:46:24
Subject: Re: [pgeu-board] Misapprehensions website/wiki
Previous:From: Enrico PirozziDate: 2008-02-28 11:55:31
Subject: Re: Announcing PostgreSQL Europe

Privacy Policy | About PostgreSQL
Copyright © 1996-2014 The PostgreSQL Global Development Group