Re: We should get active / The tools

From: Jean-Paul Argudo <jean-paul(at)postgresqlfr(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL EU General <pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL EU General <pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: We should get active / The tools
Date: 2008-02-28 10:30:32
Lists: pgeu-general
Hi,

Susanne Ebrecht a écrit / schrieb / wrote :
> Also I can't see the need of a wiki for the European group at the moment.
> For what do we need a wiki?
> Isn't the mailing list, the IRC channel and static web presentation enough?

Let me explain what will be our tools and why we need a Wiki.

 - the IRC is just the "room near the coffee machine" for me.
   Thats where we talk about {every|no}thing. To me it hasn't any value
   more than friendship, highly interactive community, support... but
   *nothing* official to me!

   Just because many of us aren't on the IRC, it doesn't represent then
   the community. As an example Tom Lane isn't on IRC.

   Another example is that someone willing to discuss something with us
   from another far country cannot, due to the different time zones.
   Thats one main reason I often go to bed to late :)
   But clearly, the coffee room can be a place where good ideas come,
   then it *HAS* to become more official, on the Mailing-list
   (pgeu-general)

 - Mailing lists: this is where every thing is discussed officially. It
   is public (except one private ML for board members only). Everyone
   gives its arguments, and we try there to get the best of many brains,
   the far-far-away little voice or even the shy guy that quite never
   posts. This is how it works. This is how the PostgreSQL works.

 - Wiki: the board of PG-Eu approved the need of a wiki for simple and
   practical reasons: it is far more easy to add content and maintain it
   than a "static Web presentation". We don't want static info. Its all
   the contrary. Our group is willing to be active !

   More over, we're planning to delegate some areas of the Wiki, since
   we won't master the wiki only with 4 people! Remember that board is
   here only for legal matters (be non-profit, have a bank account owned
   by a non-profit, claim help to other non-profit (European Community,
   for example, but maybe SPI, who knows), etc...).

   As an example of this item, we'll have to maintain the information
   in some of the most important languages in Europe (if not all!). I
   won't translate to german, Im sorry, I only speak french, spanish and
   english :-( But I hope people like you can help on this ;-)

 - (some tool, undefined): we'll need 'something' more. It may be a
   sub-part of the official wiki, or another tool. We agreed on the need
   of this "other tool" in the board to store some special non-public
   things. This may be passwords, detailed account numbers, contacts
   with private phone numbers, etc. This can't be public, as you may
   understand. It can't be stored on e-mails too. We just discussing
   that point currently.

And that's it. At the moment, our needs are completely covered by these
tools, Wiki included.

Our (==every pgeu-general subscriber) needs may change with time,
and we will adapt.

I hope my arguments are enough to make you understand why we need a
Wiki. If you want more details, don't hesitate in asking.

Cheers,

--
Jean-Paul Argudo
www.PostgreSQLFr.org