Re: DTrace probe patch for OS X Leopard

From: Robert Lor <Robert(dot)Lor(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DTrace probe patch for OS X Leopard
Date: 2008-02-27 21:27:22
Lists: pgsql-patches
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Robert Lor wrote:
>
>> Please find the patch attached per this thread
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-02/msg00912.php
>>

> Why do we have two dtrace calls in the makefiles now?
The build process for Mac OS X is different than that of Solaris. The
dtrace call in src/Makefile is to generate probes.h before any file is
compiled so it can be used in c.h to avoid "probes.h not found" error.
The dtrace call in src/backend/Makefile is only needed for Solaris.
>   I understand you added
> the "new" mechanism to support Mac OS X, but doesn't Solaris support that
> mechanism as well, so the old one could be dropped?

Both are needed.
> Btw., probes_null.h is missing in your patch.

I included this file (separate from the patch) in the first email.

Regards,
-Robert