Re: Proposed changes to DTrace probe implementation

From: Robert Lor <Robert(dot)Lor(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposed changes to DTrace probe implementation
Date: 2008-02-26 21:48:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Gregory Stark wrote:
> I think both types of probes are useful to different people.

I think certain higher level probes can be really useful to DBAs.
> Perhaps looking at the standard database SNMP MIB counters would give us a
> place to start for upward facing events people want to trace for databases in
> general.

Great idea. I found this link for public RDBMS MIB
http://www.mnlab.cs.depaul.edu/cgi-bin/sbrowser.cgi?HOST=&OID=RDBMS-MIB!rdbmsMIB

The stats in rdbmsSrvInfoTable is quite useful, and it's one of the
tables that Oracle implements in their SNMP support.
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14099_19/manage.1012/b16244/appdx_d_rdbms.htm

Regards,
-Robert