Re: WHAT to push to internet

From: Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)miracee(dot)de>
To: PostgreSQL EU General <pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WHAT to push to internet
Date: 2008-02-26 13:43:02
Lists: pgeu-general
Jean-Paul Argudo schrieb:

> So, we both agree on:
>   - an elephant (at least)
>   - PostgreSQL' blue may be the dominant color
>
> Let's talk about the last point: map or not, or other "European"
> representation??...

Guys,

we shouldn't take a logo that's not match to the official elephant
logo.  The idea of the French guys for the French group was nice. Take
the elephant and make a colorful circle around it. Because of the
elephant logo everybody immediately recognise: This is PostgreSQL.

For Germany I took the elephant logo and made a second logo looking like
Matrix with floating coffee mugs. I always hoped somebody would replace
the coffee mugs  with PG elephants. Also I hoped, somebody would
redesign the page. But as usual, nobody did it. :)

The word "map" occurs an idea in my mind:
why not taking a  map of Europe ...  just  take the silhouette and put
the elephant logo into the middle. Consider, a logo always should be
easy to print and it should look good when you only have a black/white
printer.

Or we could type PostgreSQL in Latin, Greek and Cyrillic letters ....

Just my ideas

One more serious topic:
Our logo shouldn't look familiar to something from the European Union.
Consider, PostgreSQL EU is the collection of all European nations not
only the Western Europeans. We have guys of lots more European countries
then the European Union has country members.

To the color: We must not take blue. The elephant should be blue. But
there is nothing against a pink, bordeaux, green, yellow  or whatever
main color when the page get a professional look by using it.

I always associate green with Europe but this could be the result from
my old school teachers. They used to color Europe:green, Africa:yellow,
Asia:red, NorthAmerica:blue, South America:brown, Australia:magenta,
Antarctica:white

Susanne