Re: WHAT to push to internet

From: Jean-Paul Argudo <jean-paul(at)postgresqlfr(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL EU General <pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WHAT to push to internet
Date: 2008-02-26 13:04:16
Lists: pgeu-general
Hi Dave,

>>  Or do you mean that every line of this logo is connected, like the blue
>>  elephant with white lines in it, like on's?
> Yeah, that one - though when I say single vs. multi line, I'm thinking
> of the older one which is a blue Slonik, with a white outline, and a
> black outline around that, giving it 2 outlines.

Ok. Got it, thanks ;)

> I agree with your reasons, but we should not use the EU stars to
> represent them, as that *could* be seen to exclude those from outside
> the EU. [...]

I wasn't aware of that point. Thanks to have insisted, I agree with you.
Let's say "no stars" then.

> We should find something else to represent what we're all
> about that is appropriate for all Europeans.

What about a "portion" of a 2D map like... well (googled image):  ??

this one has the benefit of not delimitating any particular countries.
It may be zoomed in/out like we need to.

>>  I forgot to mention that a "completely new logo" is my favorite option
>>  there. This would prevent the confusion between, the
>>  project, and, the European project regarding PostgreSQL
>>  advocacy and groups inside Europe.
> I disagree entirely. The Slonik image is a global one (with the
> exception of Japan where elephant logos are associated with the cult
> responsible for the Tokyo subway sarin gas attacks if memory serves).
> We should be free to invent a European version imho, but it should
> still be an elephant. We should also retain the use of blue as a
> primary colour - we want our own identity, but we must stay true to
> the global PostgreSQL brand.

I think you got me wrong, because I badly expressed myself. I meant I'd
like a new logo, and not using the PGSQL INC one.

I added those requirements then:

>> I may suggest those requirements:
>> - an elephant (at least)
>> - PostgreSQL' blue may be the dominant color
>> - a few stars

So, we both agree on:
  - an elephant (at least)
  - PostgreSQL' blue may be the dominant color

Let's talk about the last point: map or not, or other "European"

Sorry again for the misunderstanding.

Jean-Paul Argudo