Re: We should get active ...

From: Jean-Paul Argudo <jean-paul(at)postgresqlfr(dot)org>
To: Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)miracee(dot)de>
Cc: Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(at)dalibo(dot)com>, damien(at)dalibo(dot)info, pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: We should get active ...
Date: 2008-02-26 00:18:44
Lists: pgeu-general

Hi,

>> Because we will probably translate the content to be readable by
>> non-english people.
>
> Ok, that is an argument. But don't expect it before 2034. Consider, when
> I look to the past, often we weren't able to translate flyers in time
> for an event ... do you really think, we will find the time to translate
> web pages? :)

Oh! If you help us, that will be really easy ! :*)

So, know you think we will have pages to translate, so thats not only
links: It is great to read that from you ! :)

> But think about the future and to a http://www.postgresql.eu/de/ or
> http://www.postgresql.eu/fr/ or http://www.postgresql.eu/it/ or
> http://www.postgresql.eu/se/ or whatever make sense.

This really doesn't make sense to me. We're PostgreSQL Europe, we
already have some local groups with their own website. Having such other
websites in local languages will only add confusion to the public.

I may accept such a /local/ web page only to those few countries in
Europe that doesn't have *yet* their local group. To me, one of our
goals is to help such countries to settle their local group, then we
could act as a support entity to them, providing not only goodies but
also experience, fundings, howto and the *most important*: friendship.

Thats what I'd like as a content in our website... I'll expose it really
soon to the list for discussion.

>>> I am not sure, if we need a wiki at all.
>>>
>> not sure, but I think the point here is :
>>
>> Do we continue *only* by mails ? wiki and cms offer voting module
>> (or doodle.ch do, yes), discussion webpage to get talk for specific
>> content without forget in wich mail/thread we have read,decide
>> something. You have feed by page so you can follow exactly what you
>> want, I find that very usefull.

You're true Cedric. But your are talking about solutions to needs we
don't even know at that time. Let's not go too quick...

> I would say, to protect ourselves from stupid users we should avoid
> wiki/forums.

I'll bet you had a bad time just before writing this e-mail, right?

Do you frankly think any of us is a "stupid user" ?

Surely not, hey?

> Also it seems, that Europeans are master of long threads.

Please stop generalizing this way with origins of people participating
in our community. I really can understand if some of us finishes really
upset with such comments...

> I don't want to have such a long thread like this "Design of Italian
> T-Shirts" at a wiki.

This is not an acceptable argument.

More over about "the Italians" as you may say. Prato (and other guys
from other cities there) just did *AWESOME* for their *FIRST* pgday ever.

If they had to discuss hours about the design of their logo, the color
of the scarf of the lady attending or whatever thingy... _I really don't
mind_. Just because the _result_ was there. Thats the only thing I will
remember... after their infinite kindness.

> Also I have to less knowledge about wiki and access
> controlling.
> It shouldn't be so easy for everybody to read our internal stuff.

We have nothing to hide. Be sure the wiki will have an Open Source
license for its content. I'll suggest something like a Creative Common
share alike, but this is not really yet the moment to talk about it.

Recent discussions at PG-Certification shows that (most) people agree on
this kind of license for a wiki.

> It's ok, when somebody read the archive (he has to know, how to find the
> stuff there). Think to donation reports that the leaders will make every
> quartal or every year. I don't want this numbers at a wiki, where
> everybody easily can read how many money we have.

I really don't understand your point. We're Open Source. Open as Open.

I have really no problem to post how much money we have or ever will have.

PostgreSQLFr shows it in its wiki
(http://wiki.postgresqlfr.org/doku.php/ag_du_30_janvier_2008 , chapter 4)

Even Josuah D. Drake posted on some lists what PostgreSQL has in the
bankroll at SPI (well, main numbers).

Why PostgreSQL Europe would hide it ??

?

> For votes wiki could make sense but therefor there will be single other
> tools outside and also we are all programmers, therefor we could code a
> quick programm on our own. :)

Cedric proposals were great, to "avoid to reinvent the wheel every time".

Thanks,

--
Jean-Paul Argudo
www.PostgreSQLFr.org