Re: We should get active ...

From: Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(at)dalibo(dot)com>
To: Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)miracee(dot)de>
Cc: damien(at)dalibo(dot)info, pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: We should get active ...
Date: 2008-02-25 21:04:21
Lists: pgeu-general
Susanne Ebrecht a écrit :
> Cédric Villemain schrieb:
>> Susanne Ebrecht a écrit :

>>> Damien,
>>>
>>> for what?
>>> We don't make support at the European group. All what we discuss is
>>> just "organisation" stuff. For most stuff the language based
>>> communities are responsible and they already have language based
>>> communication bases.
>> Because we will probably translate the content to be readable by
>> non-english people.
>
> Ok, that is an argument. But don't expect it before 2034. Consider,
> when I look to the past, often we weren't able to translate flyers in
> time for an event ... do you really think, we will find the time to
> translate web pages? :)
>
> But think about the future and to a http://www.postgresql.eu/de/ or
> http://www.postgresql.eu/fr/ or http://www.postgresql.eu/it/ or
> http://www.postgresql.eu/se/ or whatever make sense.
off topic :
search for apache
https://pgweb.postgresql.org/browser/trunk/portal/README

I find the option of apache handling very nice. At least it work very
well on debian.org, on postgresql.org there is no translation :-/

>>> I am not sure, if we need a wiki at all.
>>>
>> not sure, but I think the point here is :
>>
>> Do we continue *only* by mails ? wiki and  cms offer voting  module
>> (or doodle.ch do, yes), discussion webpage to get talk for specific
>> content without forget in wich mail/thread we have read,decide
>> something. You have feed by page so you can follow exactly what you
>> want, I find that very usefull.
>
> I would say, to protect ourselves from stupid users we should avoid
> wiki/forums. Also it seems, that Europeans are master of long threads.
> I don't want to have such a long thread like this "Design of Italian
> T-Shirts" at a wiki. Also I have to less knowledge about wiki and
> access controlling.
> It shouldn't be so easy for everybody to read our internal stuff. It's
> ok, when somebody read the archive (he has to know, how to find the
> stuff there). Think to donation reports that the leaders will make
> every quartal or every year. I don't want this numbers at a wiki,
> where everybody easily can read how many money we have.
> An access controlled "only internal" wiki would be ok, but what about
> "hacking" a wiki?

wiki have good ACL component not an issue.

and page are split in at least 3 things : the page, the discussion page,
plus the revision page.

> For votes wiki could make sense but therefor there will be single
> other tools outside and also we are all programmers, therefor we could
> code a quick programm on our own. :)

doodle.ch is a great place for voting. I agree we all can do that, but
have we time to rewrite what have already been done ? I am for open source.

> Susanne

Cédric Villemain
Administrateur de Base de Données
Cel: +33 (0)6 74 15 56 53