Re: Fix for initdb failures on Vista

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: "pgsql-patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix for initdb failures on Vista
Date: 2008-02-25 09:40:04
Lists: pgsql-patches
Dave Page wrote:
> The attached patch fixes problems reported primarily on Vista, but
> also on some Windows 2003 and XP installations in which initdb reports
> that it cannot find postgres.exe.

A couple of minor nitpicks:

Regarding the AddUserToDaclCleanup helper function, I would suggest
putting all the cleanups at the end of AddUserToDacl, jump to the
cleanup section with a goto. That's a commonly used pattern to do it.
One problem with the Cleanup function is that if you need to add more
cleanup code (probably not likely in this case, though), you need to
modify the function signature and all callers.

The comment in AddUserToDacl says "This is required on Windows machines
running some of Microsoft's latest security patches on XP/2K3, and on
Vista/Longhorn boxes". The security patches we're talking about are not
going to be the latest for very long; might want to rephrase that.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas