Re: fix in --help output

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: fix in --help output
Date: 2008-02-22 20:41:35
Lists: pgsql-patches
Tom Lane napsal(a):
> Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM> writes:
>> I attached patch which replaces any "--..." occurrence with "-c..." on
>> command line.
>
> Please see whether forcibly using src/port/getopt.c fixes this,
> instead.  A saner patch would probably add something like this
> to configure.in:
>
> if test "$PORTNAME" = "solaris"; then
> AC_LIBOBJ(getopt)
> AC_LIBOBJ(getopt_long)
> fi

Yeah, this is the best solution. I attach a patch. Is possible to
backport it back to 8.3, 8.2?

Just for completeness Solaris getopt function has a extension which
processes long option argument. This extension is called CLIP. This
implementation collides with unusual getopt usage for long option
processing in PostgreSQL.

More info are there:
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-2243/getopt-3c?l=en&a=view
http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/lib/libc/port/gen/getopt.c
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-2239/6n4hsf6e5?l=en&a=view

By the way old solaris getopt version is similary with postgres
implementation. :-)

http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/lib/libbc/libc/gen/common/getopt.c

		Thanks for help
				Zdenek