Re: Retrieving last InsertedID : INSERT... RETURNING safe ?

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Paul Tomblin" <ptomblin(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Retrieving last InsertedID : INSERT... RETURNING safe ?
Date: 2008-02-20 14:26:05
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Paul Tomblin wrote:
> Be that as it may, I still don't see what you gain by doing
> insert ... (nextval('idseq'),...
> select currval('idseq');
> when you could do
> select nextval('idseq');
> insert ...(?,...

Oh, sure, there's not gain either way. Select nextval + insert works
just as well.

Theoretically, you could "pipeline" the "INSERT nextval" + "SELECT
currval" method, by sending both commands at once and only then block
and wait for response, saving one round-trip to the server. You could do
that with a batch statement, I think, or by single executeQuery("INSERT
... ; SELECT currval(...)"). But if you don't do that, there's no
difference.

--
Heikki Linnakangas