Re: bad advocacy by TWiki bigwig

From: Dirk Riehle <dirk(at)riehle(dot)org>
To: Koen Martens <pgsql(at)metro(dot)cx>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Thoeny <peter(at)thoeny(dot)org>
Subject: Re: bad advocacy by TWiki bigwig
Date: 2008-02-17 08:59:41
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Hi all,

I know the twiki.net folks and was curious why they would be bashing
PostgreSQL, so I asked Peter Thoeny about this. He asked me to post his
clarification on Koen's email, see below. Please don't respond to me,
I'm not involved in the TWiki community. If you have further comments
please address Peter directly.

Dirk

---8><-----------8><-----------8><-----------8><-----------8><--------

Public statement by Peter Thoeny, TWiki.org founder:

Dear PostgreSQL community,

Please accept my apologies on behalf of the TWiki community. I took
notes during the meeting, and I am sorry I did not log all relevant
pieces that have been said about PostgreSQL during the meeting.

Since Rod is out of town, let me try to state what Rod said at the
meeting, to the best of my recollection:

"PostgreSQL has arguably the best open source RDBMS technology, but
unfortunately they lost market share to companies with lesser
technology. I consider the PostgreSQL business model a failure, because
there is no leading company associated with it. This has been publicly
stated by some PostgreSQL community members." He went on to say that
successful models are open source communities with one driving company
alongside them: MySQL, RedHat/Fedora, Zimbra, JBoss, etc.

I find it unfortunate that Koen is using words in this forum like "bad
advocacy by TWiki bigwig" without first clarifying things with the
person involved. I am not sure what the intent of this e-mail was. It is
too easy to take stuff out of context in an online medium.

Full disclosure: TWIKI.NET is working towards a win/win/win for the
TWiki community, sponsoring companies and customers. Koen is in a small
group of TWiki consultants who have not bought into this strategy.

My apologies again for the stir, kind regards,
Peter

Koen Martens wrote:

Phone: + 1 (650) 215 3459
Web: http://www.riehle.org