Re: BUG #3894: JDBC DatabaseMetaData.getTables is inconsistently case-sensitive with schema name

From: Adam Hardy <adam(dot)hardy(at)cyberspaceroad(dot)com>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3894: JDBC DatabaseMetaData.getTables is inconsistently case-sensitive with schema name
Date: 2008-02-13 13:12:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Kris Jurka on 12/02/08 16:40, wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Adam Hardy wrote:
>> Because this rules out certain important features of the JPA
>> framework such as native SQL queries, you may want to prioritize this
>> issue. I will have to use Oracle or mySQL until PostgreSQL can
>> rectify things.
>
> I wouldn't expect postgresql to change anytime soon.  Could you
> explain in more detail what you can't use and why the JPA side
> couldn't be fixed to support postgresql?
>
> You could also consider always quoting all identifiers in both
> database creation scripts and queries.  This guarantees that the
> database won't mess with the case of the object although it can be a
> pain to type if you writing a lot of queries by hand.

Well, JPA is just a standard, so a 'JPA fix' would require each JPA
provider  (Toplink, JDO, OpenJPA, Hibernate etc) to rectify their
postgresql-specific dialect / SQL syntax builder.

This issue arises using PostgreSQL with a schema name when running
native SQL queries.

That means I write pure SQL in my JPA mapping files. It's a common
practice.

Using a schema name is also a common practice.

However I will, at some stage in the future, code a test batch, which
tests basic CRUD functionality and OR mapping across different
combinations of JPA providers and DB vendors. So I will keep the bug
reference handy and let you know how many JPA providers suffer this
issue once I run the test.

Best regards
Adam