Re: [Scale-planning] PostgreSQL LA PUG

From: "Richard Broersma Jr(dot)" <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: noelp(at)calpacs(dot)org
Cc: Los Angeles PostgreSQL Users Group <lapug(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Scale-planning] PostgreSQL LA PUG
Date: 2008-02-05 12:36:07
Lists: lapug
noelp(at)calpacs(dot)org wrote:
>> Well,  it sounds like we are all set!  Are the preparations going well
>> for the slide show?
>>

> Too well ;-) I've been reading up on temporal databases and I'm shocked at
> how deep the subject goes. I was skimming through a book that I
> inter-library loaned, "Temporal Databases: Theory, Design, and
> Implementation" Tansel, Snodgrass et al. Mind blowing, the number of ideas
> around implementing and dealing with time oriented databases.
>
> I'll be ready for my presentation. It will be brief introduction of the
> basics temporal databases (intervals, valid time, transaction time) with
> implementation examples that build each other in PG. I'll end up with Jeff
> Davis' contributed PG module for temporal datatypes.
>
> Do we want to start thinking about a next meeting?

Sounds great!  I look forward to seeing what you put together.

Regarding the next meeting, I am open to suggestions.  One idea could be
to demonstrate one or two of the new features of 8.3.  This is a topic
that anyone who is interested in joining LAPUG could put together as a
presentation.  We could discuss further at the Convention.

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.