Re: arrays of floating point numbers / linear algebra operations into the DB

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Webb Sprague <webb(dot)sprague(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: arrays of floating point numbers / linear algebra operations into the DB
Date: 2008-02-01 23:35:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Webb Sprague wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2008 12:19 PM, Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com> wrote:
>> Webb Sprague wrote:
>>> ... matrices and vectors .
>> ...Especially if some GIST or similar index could efficiently search
>> for vectors "close" to other vectors...
>
> Hmm. If I get some more interest on this list (I need just one LAPACK
> / BLAS hacker...), I will apply for a pgFoundry project and appoint
> myself head of the peanut gallery...

I think you should start one. I'd be happy to help.

I'm rather proficient in C; somewhat literate about postgres' GIST
stuff (I think a couple of my bugfix patches were accepted in postgis);
and deal with a big database doing lots of similarity-based searches (a
6'2" guy with light brown hair being similar to a 6'1" guy with dark
blond hair) - and am experimenting with modeling some of the data as
vectors in postgres.