Re: postgresql book - practical or something newer?

From: Peter Wilson <petew(at)yellowhawk(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Hart <tomhart(at)coopfed(dot)org>, Postgres General List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql book - practical or something newer?
Date: 2008-01-30 12:45:01
Lists: pgsql-general
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Tom Hart <tomhart(at)coopfed(dot)org> wrote:
[...]
> I find that the best way to get what you need, is to read the fine
> manual from postgresql. Yes, its massive, unwieldy and in a lot of
> ways counter-intuitive (to a newbie) but if you have the terminology
> down you aren't going to find a more comprehensive text.

I find the manual answers just about everything I've needed to answer.
Personally though I find
the on-line version somewhat slow/cumbersome to find what I'm looking for.

Using Windows as my desktop machine (servers running Linux) I found the
most accessible form
of the manual was that distributed with pgAdminIII. Until recently they
shipped a fully
searchable Windows Help version of the latest manual which was fantastic.

Unfortunately pgAdmin has now removed that section of the manual and
simply links to the
Postgres web-site. I can understand it was some work to put it in each
time - but it was
very useful. So much so when I get a chance I intend to find an older
copy of pgAdmin and
install just the manual from it.

Has anyone else generated a Windows Help version of the manual?

Is there a source version of the files used to generate it (pgAdmin
people?)? I'd be interested in
the amount of work needed to create the file - if not excessive I might
volunteer to get it done
again if people other than me might find it useful.

Pete
> Plus, when you find things that don't quite make sense you can submit
> a doc patch to make the docs that much better.
>
> Sincerely,
>

> Joshua D. Drake
>

> - --
> The PostgreSQL Company: Since 1997, http://www.commandprompt.com/
> Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564   24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
> Donate to the PostgreSQL Project: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate
> PostgreSQL SPI Liaison | SPI Director |  PostgreSQL political pundit

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Peter Wilson
T: 01707 891840
M: 07796 656566
http://www.yellowhawk.co.uk 	The information in this email is
confidential and is intended for the addressee/s only. Access to this
email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended
recipient, you must not read, use or disseminate the information
contained in or attached to this email.