Re: PGCon vs Postgresql Conference

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Sim Zacks <sim(at)compulab(dot)co(dot)il>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGCon vs Postgresql Conference
Date: 2008-01-30 06:47:57
Lists: pgsql-general
Sim Zacks wrote:
>> Anyway my suggestion to Sim is to read about each conference on the
>> respective conference websites:
>>
>> http://www.postgresqlconference.org/why/
>> http://www.pgcon.org/2008/
>>
> I read those, I was just confused as to why there were 2 conferences on
> the same topics one right after the other.

Because there are two different entities organizing them. Just like
there are 50 different Linux conferences around the world :).

> Someone mentioned that one is commercial and the other is
> not-for-profit, so someone might define PGCon as proprietary and say the
> postgresqlconference is open source, but that would start a flame war
> and would be inappropriate being that both of them are supporting open

Hmm I don't know that is appropriate actually. Commercial can certainly
benefit Open Source if direct ways. Look at CMD or EDB. PgCon has that
option should it choose to as well.

A more key difference is that the non-for-profit PostgreSQL Conference
series submits 100% of its proceeds to PostgreSQL via SPI.

> source software, and nobody is against making a profit

Of course not. I love profit :).

> (except
> Communists, and they're not against profit as long as the guy who worked
> hard to earn it doesn't get to keep it).

Ehh, not going to bite on this one. It sounds a bit trollish.

> In any case, I wanted to go to one of them, but I can't because one is
> on the weekend, which I can't attend, and the other ends late Friday
> afternoon, which is bad for me (but I'll have to wait until the schedule
> and costs are posted before I'll know for sure).

There is always PGday in July and August, plus West in October.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake