Re: Maybe this will help, maybe it won't

From: Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)miracee(dot)de>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Maybe this will help, maybe it won't
Date: 2008-01-26 05:17:59
Lists: pgeu-general

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> I think you are missing my point. It isn't that it makes sense that a
> non European person leads the group. It is that the membership has that
> option. I am under no illusion that in almost every case imaginable the
> Europeans will be the leaders of their own group.
>
> The point is, the limitation shouldn't be there. The membership should
> make the determination on who they want moving the group forward. That
> is all.
>
> I find it very interesting that most of the objections that I have
> heard are the "idea" that someone who is not european may lead the
> group when my only suggestion is not that someone who is not european
> be able to, but that democracy prevail and that only the membership
> makes that determination.

Ok, my opinion: theoretically, of course this job could do a non
European too. It's a question of trust.
I have an argument, for the limitation:

1) you can say, we are burned children.
It was an Austrian guy who rules Germany and who is responsible for the
2nd world war.
It's too late at the moment, to remember European history, but there are
lots of more Foreigners who rules a country. First the people trusted
and thought, he/she can help and all will get better but at least they
failed and it got more worse.

I think, it's more a self-protection. Europeans sometime learn from
their past. It's very deep in our souls and also me, who always tries to
be open for argument and think about stuff looking to the other side. I
understand your argument, but my stomach is telling me, that we don't
should cancel the limitation.

I wouldn't touch this, because you really will hit a very sensible point
of the Europeans. But I agree, that this is difficult to understand for
non Europeans.

There is a second thing, Europeans fear deep in their souls. But it's
better, that I'll tell you this on another platform, maybe together with
a beer, when we will meet us.

So, and now I really go sleeping ...

Susanne

--