Re: BUG #3881: lo_open leaks memory

From: Michael Akinde <michael(dot)akinde(at)met(dot)no>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tomasz Ostrowski <tometzky(at)batory(dot)org(dot)pl>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: BUG #3881: lo_open leaks memory
Date: 2008-01-22 14:45:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Thanks for the reply, Tomasz.

We have now done some more performance tests working with pure C/C++
code, and the results we are finding seem to indicate that the disk
thrashing has to do with the OS disk cache, and not as a result of the
lo_open call. Notably, we have been unable to recreate the problems we
found with the size of the shared buffers affecting performance, which
confirms Tom's conclusions.

We still have a performance issue, but the latest round of tests
indicate a number of places we should try to tweak.

Thanks for your patience, Tom.

Regards,

Michael Akinde
Database Architect, met.no