Re: currval() within one statement

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: sad <sad(at)bankir(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: currval() within one statement
Date: 2008-01-22 09:13:26
Lists: pgsql-sql
sad wrote:
> A. Kretschmer wrote:
>>> is it expected that the currval() changes its value between calls
>>> within one statement ?
>> Conclusion, don't call nextval() within a TRIGGER, and insert either
>> nextval() for the column or omit this column.
> I only note that i still want to discuss the titled problem or to be
> given an exact pointer to documentation regarding the currval() behavior
> in the described situation, that i had.

Well, your situation is weird, to say the least. currval() doesn't
change the value of a sequence. Adding a trigger that calls nextval()
will change the value. But you're not telling us which kind of
trigger... per statement or for each row ? if it's for each row, then
that's quite understandable.

BTW, sequence functions are described here :