Re: Transaction Snapshot Cloning

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>,"Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Transaction Snapshot Cloning
Date: 2008-01-20 12:37:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 18:46 +0000, Gregory Stark wrote:
>
>> To do something like that the user would have to create a prepared transaction
>> to save the snapshot. I think that makes sense though since effectively it's
>> just requiring that the user explicitly do what would otherwise be a hidden
>> implicit requirement -- that the user do something to hold globalxmin back to
>> avoid having the snapshots expire.
>
> This is a good idea which I will want to develop in the future, not yet
> though.

I haven't been following this thread in detail, but I'd just like to
point out that there's a couple features in the XA spec that we don't
currently support:

- ability to "stop" a transaction, and resume it later, executing other
transactions in between.
- ability to stop a transaction, and resume it later in another connection.

Neither of these are essential for two-phase commit, which is what the
spec is for, but if they happened to fall out of some other work, it
would be nice...

--
   Heikki Linnakangas