Re: How to test/read a stored procedure that returns a boolean?

From: Kevin Jenkins <gameprogrammer(at)rakkar(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to test/read a stored procedure that returns a boolean?
Date: 2008-01-16 23:50:41
Lists: pgsql-sql

Thanks Tom!

Also, how do I check if a language is already created so I don't load
it twice?

"ERROR: language "plpgsql" already exists
SQL state: 42710"

Here is the code fixed.

/*
CREATE LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' HANDLER plpgsql_call_handler
LANCOMPILER 'PL/pgSQL';

CREATE TABLE handles (
handleID_pk serial PRIMARY KEY UNIQUE NOT NULL,
userID_fk integer UNIQUE NOT NULL,
handle text UNIQUE NOT NULL);

CREATE TABLE disallowedHandles (
handle text UNIQUE NOT NULL);
*/

create or replace function IsUsedHandle(h text) returns boolean as $$
declare
num_matches integer;
begin
num_matches := COUNT(*) from handles where handles.handle = h;
return num_matches > 0;
end;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

-- INSERT INTO handles (handle, userid_fk) VALUES ('blah', 0);

select * from IsUsedHandle('blah');